Friday, February 23, 2007

Greetings From Chile




This is my Lazy E Mail. It means I can do stuff once then you lot have to look it up if you want to READ ALL ABOUT MY CHILEAN ODDEYSSEY. So it's up to you folks. I can see it now, blog removed by blog host due to lack of interest. Anyway Ill give ita whirl.

As most of you know, I arrived here safe and sound, on time and met by Maria and Kevin who whisked me home (for a month anyway) to Providencia, one of the posher bits of Santiago. A bit of a white knuckle ride from the airport because I had forgotten what city traffic is like. Imagine the M25 at 6 o clock on Friday evening at 100 kph and you are somewhere near Santiago urban arterials. Kevins flat is lovely, if a bit bijou, but great mountain views and everything you need at hand. At everybodys hand actually. Prime feature is balcony for drinking beer in the cool of the evening watching the sunset (over to your left a bit too far, but good all the same),

Hit some shops this morning, bought plasters (for an injury after a setee incident), a keyring, a notebook, a pair of trousers and lunch, all in Spanish. Well, in a combination of their Spanish and me doing my Marcel Marceau impression. Have you ever tried to mime "ensalada vegetariana"? Luckily I can point "en espanol" as they say here, so I got fed. The lady at the next table was counting coins whilst wearing leather gloves. Unusual I thought especially as it was 30 degrees in the shade. But then the waiter told me she takes coffee with TEN sugars so I guess the gloves were not so odd. after all.

You can always get natural fruit juices here. I like chirimoya juice, chirimoya being a Chileno fruit. Today I tried a chirimoya and orange juice. This is also nice and is called a "Happy Chirimoya". Makes you feel good just to order one.

Disappointing to find I was a size 56 in trousers here. That is "cinquenta y seis" in Spanish which sounds even bigger. (Note to Self. Dont fill you face over the next four weeks.) Kevin said that I was lucky to find them sized at all. Some shops dont bother with sizes, you have to guess.

So thats it so far. No real plans for the rest of today, Friday, and out to lunch at Marias Mums tomorrow. Exciting stuff aint it.

Final point for today. Kevins computer is not only in Spanish but also the keys dont all do what they say they do. For example, I havent found the apostrophe yet as the pedants amongst you may have noticed. (Sorry Lynne). The @ is Shift 2 and Open Bracket is Shift 9. And, of course, Close Bracket is Shift -. As you all know. So a bit of slack with the punctuation please.

More with pics later when I find out how to do it.

BJIC

1 comment:

jed said...

Hi Jack, how are you all. I wonder what size my trousers mine would be eh? And is your trouser size smaller than your age
I hope you are well