Thursday, March 15, 2007

TO HELL WITH EASTER ISLAND

THIS IS THE MAIN EVENT

Easter Island can wait. It has been there for 3 million years so my blog about my trip there can wait for a few days.

Well it is Wedding Day Number One today. This is the civil ceremony. The equivalent of the Registrar is coming to the house for a 6.30 kick off. The first half, the ceremony itself lasts about 20 minutes.

The second half, barbecue and alcohol, will go on for a bit longer. I am off to the coast birding tomorrow and my guide is to pick me up at 7 a.m. So it is handy that I am staying at Marias house as I mean to be asleep by 11!

The pace has been accelerating over the last few days. Maria appears to have had a top to toe 12,000 mile, service. Full facial, dress rehearsal for the hair and make up, manicure, pedicure, the works. So all the visible parts are sorted and , I suspect some of the invisible parts also. Nothing has been said about colonic irrigation but, hey, would you? I have my suspicions.

Even Marias engagement ring has been professionally polished. K went to pick it up this morning and the shop was shut. I didn't mention that to Maria.

Kevin has had his hair cut.

Again.

As it is the second cut in 3 weeks, nobody noticed.

Suits are pressed and about 10 shirts ironed at the laundry shop round the corner. I went to collect them yesterday. On the way back I started laughing at some of the expressions on the faces of passers by. Then I realised that if I had seen white haired, fat gringo, in a Chile football shirt and shorts with glowing white legs poking out, carrying 10 shirts and a suit in poly covers, he would be in my blog like a shot. Look out for me on Blogspot.

Niall has bought some new brilliant white trainers to wear with his grey linen suit at both ceremonies. I kid you not. I am seriously thinking of wearing my Chile football shirt and flip flops with my suit on Saturday at the church.

The house is being spruced up by Roxanne, who is Felipes ( Marias sisters son, do try to keep up!) nanny and Guadeloupe, who has been drafted in as additional hands.

Roxanne has shelled a ton of beans already, there are two sides of salmon and a cow or pig load of ribs defrosting in the sink to be ready for the barbeque after the ceremony. The barbeque has "BIG BEEF" as a model name. I suspect a clue there. Bottles of champagne are cooling and the 4 bottles of Pisco Sour have disappeared from my room. Oh Boy!

Marias Mum and Dad and Maria herself have disappeared to do useful things and I have caught up with my ironing. Outside in the shade. Much to Roxannes surprise I think as I don't think she had a great deal of confidence in my dexterity with 'la plancha'. Hey Baby, I've been ironing since I was at school. Not play school obviously. Anyway she asked me if I wanted to do her ironing as well so she must have been well impressed.

The rings are collected and they fit. Minor crisis with the printer for card printing. He lost the original draft. So, in true Chilean entrepreneurial style, just did nothing. Maria rang up to be told there were no cards printed and this just the day before yesterday. She hung up on him in mid call and promptly burst into tears.

Seating plans are finalised (at least until someone else drops out or wants to bring their maternal grandmother) The tables are called mainly after places K and M have been. Birmingham, London, Paris, Liverpool, places in Chile etc. Kevin has put his mate Thom (a big ManU fan) on 'Liverpool". Just to piss him off! There is also a table called ' Castledermot', the town in Co. Kildare where Pauline was born.

Nice one Kev.

K and M also had a row in the BIG CAKE shop. So pre nupts seem to be proceding normally. Rows and tears, pre hitch, seem to be par for the course.

(Remember that do you Chris and Liam? I do)

So that is the state of play here in San Miguel, Santiago as at 13.09 Chile time. You lot will be thinking about your tea I expect. I have had breakfast and Guadeloupe has just brought me a cup of tea and a chocolate covered sponge finger. I think I am well in there.

OK folks that is it for now. Next blog maybe Sunday as it is full on from now, or maybe not even til Monday.

PS
1. The good news is that K and M have had flights for Austrailia confirmed just yesterday and are off there for 12 days, a week on Saturday. Hotels are booked and all is well on that front.

2. Check out The Cheese Empanada, link on this blog, for details of Kevins 'Non Stag', stag night.

Off to choose shirt and tie combo for this afternoon. The cream or the purple? Or maybe the white with the creamy brown stripe?

Will probably wear the suit jacket for all of 30 minutes (ceremony and pics) and will possibly change trousers as well if Felipe gets a bit flighty with the barbecued ribs.

Luv To All

Especially the pregnant ones.


Tracy, are you non pregnant yet?

No comments: